Buprenorphine initiatives have been started in several states now and even in Massachusetts this is a very significant drug used in the treatment of heroin addiction.
Heroin rehab in Massachusetts uses buprenorphine both on an outpatient and an inpatient basis.
The following is the manner in which this medication is used in the treatment of heroin addiction in Massachusetts.
- Initially, the person is put on a daily treatment with buprenorphine. The dosage is decided depending on the extent of addiction in the person. The initial dose is then adjusted gradually so that it complements the patient’s addiction condition and he or she feels no withdrawal symptoms or temptation to have more of the substance.
- When the visibly active withdrawal symptoms subside, the dosage is gradually lessened. The reduction of dosage takes place thrice in a week to be suitable to the person’s condition.
- The first dose of buprenorphine is provided six hours after the last usage of heroin was done. This is when the heroin withdrawal symptoms begin to make their appearance.
- Buprenorphine is also used as substitution medication for people who have initially been put on a methadone treatment for heroin addiction. If the person was having 30 milligrams of methadone, then he or she is switched over to buprenorphine directly. But if the person was on a methadone treatment stronger than that, then withdrawal symptoms are observed at the onset.
- In the heroin addiction treatment in Massachusetts no one that has been on more than 60 milligrams of methadone is allowed to switch over to a buprenorphine treatment.
Massachusetts Heroin Addiction Hotlines
|Attleboro – (508) 858-5466||Marlboro – (508) 377-4614|
|Boston – (617) 307-4464||New Bedford – (508) 630-9505|
|Brighton – (617) 206-3810||Peabody – (978) 233-0639|
|Brocton – (508) 858-5322||Peabody – (978) 384-1201|
|Fitchburg – (978) 384-1206||Plymouth – (508) 689-7703|
|Gardner – (978) 384-1205||Quincy – (617) 250-8519|
|Holyoke – (413) 650-5603||Springfield – (413) 306-3232|
|Lawrence – (978) 233-2133||Sterling – (978) 384-1148|
|Lynn – (781) 780-5658||Westfield – (413) 485-7002|
|Malden – (781) 780-5669||Woburn – (781) 780-5671|